The chemex is one of our favourite ways of brewing coffee. The manual drip method produces a clean, aromatic brew, allowing you to taste the full spectrum of flavours in the coffee.
- Preheat your chemex by rinsing it with boiling water.
- Place the paper filter cone in the chemex, with the thick side against the pouring spout. Pour in hot water to wet the paper thoroughly, then peel back the filter to discard the rinse water.
- Tip your coffee into the filter cone, gently shaking to flatten.
- Pour over just enough hot water to saturate the grounds, and give the coffee a stir to ensure even saturation. This part is called the ‘bloom’, and should last for 30 - 45 seconds.
- Following the bloom, begin pouring a steady, even stream of hot water over the grounds in a circular motion. Take care not to pour directly onto the sides of the Chemex, and keep the water level below the rim of the pot, so it doesn’t overflow. Continue to top up with the remaining water as it drips through - don’t let the grinds go dry until you have enough liquid in the bottom.
- The finished volume of coffee should be level with the raised glass button on the side of the Chemex pot. Remove and discard the filter and brewed grounds. Finally, pour your coffee into your preheated mug, and enjoy the delicious flavours.