Using a plunger (or french press) is one of the easiest ways to enjoy fantastic coffee at home. This brewing style fully immerses the coffee in water for the entire brew time, producing a very full-bodied, flavoursome cup. We developed our Kidnappers Breakfast Blend particularly for the plunger-lover, and it’s something you really ought to try. Start with freshly roasted & ground beans, clean equipment, and fresh, cold water.
The Perfect Plunger
- Boil the water, and pre-heat the plunger by rinsing with this water. You can do the same with your cups.
- Add 1 tbsp ground coffee for each 180ml cup you plan to make, or even better, use scales and weigh 70grams of ground coffee for every 1000ml of water.
- Pour the boiled water in the pot to cover the coffee grounds and then stir. Water should be off the boil for 1 minute before adding to the coffee otherwise the coffee may burn and taste a little nasty.
- Pour in the remaining boiled water to fill the plunger to the appropriate level.
- Place the lid on the plunger, and wait 4 minutes before pressing the rod down slowly.
- Allow the coffee sediment to settle and pour into your pre-heated cups.
- Best served with a croissant and the Sunday newspaper.